1. Hi! Welcome Home to the DVCinfo Community Forums! We pride ourselves on being a pleasant community built around people discussing Disney Vacation Club and Disney News & Information or just enjoying talking with other DVC members (and potential members). We do our best to make this a friendly & enjoyable place. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!
  2. Hi, you are viewing our Forums as a Guest. Registered Members can Like Posts, Mark Forums Read, view New Posts since last visit, get Alerts for Followed Forums & Threads, participate in Discussions, Vote in Polls, Post & Rate Photos, Download Resources, have private Conversations, & view our DVC Rent, Trade, Transfer & Exchange Forum. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!

Add-on of 25 points to get membership card. Worth it?

Discussion in 'DVC Buying & Selling' started by Disney_MachineLearning, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Disney_MachineLearning

Disney_MachineLearning Member

First Name:
    Disney_ML
    Hello,

We recently purchased 160 points at Bay Lake Tower in the resale market(got the membership number today). Wanted to know if buying 25 points to get the membership card. Is it really worth?

Thank you for your opinions in advance.

2. DVC Mike

DVC Mike Founder

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maybe. If you can take advantage of the incidental benefits of a direct purchase (such as the discount on Annual Passes), then it might be worth it. Just keep in mind that these incidental benefits are not guaranteed and may be withdrawn or altered at any time. Review the incidental benefits of a direct purchase and see what the value of them might be or you.

3. Disney_MachineLearning

First Name:
    Disney_ML
    Thank you for the quick reply.

I see online under the membership benefits that Pool hopping, DVD rental and Top of the world lounge are included even for members who purchased resale after April 1st 2016. I assume it's inclusion is not permanent either and can be termed incidental too.

4. Russ

Russ Staff Member Site Owner

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    Other than the perks (e.g. after hours park events, beach party water park events), the hard savings are 10% merchandise discount, 10% food discounts, and AP discounts.

Assuming you purchase PVB @ $176/pt. (best direct value), that's at least a $100/pt. premium over SSR resale (best resale value) - or $2,500 total premium.

If you aren't going to purchase annual passes, that just leaves the 10% merch and select dining discounts, which means you would have to purchase $25,000 in merchandise and food (at participating locations) to break even with the premium you paid for a direct purchase (comparing the best direct value to the best resale value).

If you are going to purchase APs annually (if you visit Disney more than once a year, an AP typically saves you more than two multi-day tickets), then the DVC AP discount can be up to $250 per person per year (savings of a new DVC-only Gold Pass over a non-DVC Platinum pass - or $1,000 annually for a family of four. The merch and dining discounts with an AP are usually the same or better than DVC, so the net DVC savings for AP holders is really just your DVC AP discount. Taking that same $2,500 premium you are paying for the 25 points direct, you would break even after only 3 sets of discounted DVC APs, then save $1,000 a year thereafter (assuming family of 4).

5. Disney_MachineLearning

First Name:
    Disney_ML
    Thank you. That is a great explanation.

Russ likes this.
  6. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Great explanation from Russ there. Unless you are buying annual passes or are a very frequent visitor to get continuous discounts and make use of special events, I don't think it is worth paying for even a 25 points direct. If however you always get annual passes, it is.
    Re can they take away TotWL, DVD and pool hopping, others will correct me if I am wrong, but I heard these items are paid for out of annual dues. So they couldn't discriminate between direct and indirect buyers on these items.

7. Maleficent

Maleficent Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV, BCV, BLT, BWV
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Welcome!!! BLT is a great resort and you'll enjoy. Check out the marina when you stay next for some non park fun activities.

As for to buy 25 pts direct, you can also check with a guide and see if you can purchase 25 direct BLT points with same use year and what the rate is. See Russ' explanation above for worth it or not and the added benefit to buying 25 BLT direct points is that you can have combined with your 160 and use all together at 11 months.

8. AuLYNi

AuLYNi Well-Known Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, BCV, PVB
    First Name:
    Lyn
    I keep going back and forth on this. I do hate feeling left out, BUT, I hate spending more than I need to. However, we may eventually need to add more points at Aulani, since once the kids start public school we likely will need to start following the school vacation schedule (instead of day care, where it doesn't really matter when we take them out) which means we'll need more points for a busier season. But, finding a 25 point Aulani contract with October UY seems slim, so for us, it is likely buy direct or not at all (if the latter, we will just take shorter trips to Aulani and split with another island/hotel (Maui is my favorite), or use some of our other points to add on an extra night at 7 months if available).

The decision will come down to how much we REALLY end up loving Aulani compared to having a more varied vacation and what "benefits" may actually be worth it. We're on the West Coast, and only plan on going to Disney World every other year, so annual passes aren't worth it as we'd only go every other year (they would be if they included Disneyland and Disney World, but to my knowledge that kind of pass doesn't exist). Special events aren't worth it as we plan vacations so far ahead we couldn't plan on attending anything short notice anyway. We don't really buy souvenirs. The one thing I think may make sense would be for access to Tables in Wonderland. My mom is currently a Florida resident, so we got TIW through her on our last trip and it did save us over four hundred dollars (Character meals with a family of 4 and 2 sets of grandparents add up!), but with her planning on moving out by us, we'll need access to it some other way. Member happy hours/receptions at Aulani could be fun, but not sure that or the lounge at Epcot are quantifiable enough to make me buy direct.

My advice would be to make a list of benefits you could take advantage of, and put a price on what those perks are worth to you for the next 5-8 years (as Russ noted all benefits can be taken away, so I wouldn't calculate for the number of years left on the contract, just a reasonable number of years where the perks are likely to be similar). Then compare that to the difference between resale and direct pricing.

Russ likes this.
  9. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    It's not clear if resale members cannot get TIW. It doesn't say you can't on the website and it says it's open to members (which resale are) who produce a member ID (which the white card is). I read on some forum someone had called them up and ordered it over the phone and had it posted to them and just gave their member number. There has been some debate on this. So maybe give it a try if you really want that (you've got to eat and drink a lot on that every other year trip to get $150 back, was worth it at $75 but not for me at $150).

10. Frank

Frank Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BLT
    First Name:
    Frank
    My guess is that they would keep TOWL open to all members because they need the revenue there. It obviously failed miserably when it was exclusive to BLT owners.

11. Vic96

Vic96 Master Member

Just my 2 cents... You might want to wait and see how it goes. We have resale contracts but bought prior to the last set of new rules excluding resale. We did end up adding on 25 points direct last year but it was because we really wanted the extra 25 points on this contract - 250 every other year goes amazingly farther than 200. Small contracts were hard to find and going for a premium resale. When we added the closing costs and points included, we realized it wasn't that much more expensive to get the contract direct - plus, I wanted the same UY and I wasn't going to get that resale for the contract we found.

My point being, you might find yourself wanting more points and you don't know what the number will be yet. Personally, I would only buy additional points when/if I know I really want to use them for our needs.

Bobby, AuLYNi, Russ and 1 other person like this.
  12. Frank

Frank Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BLT
    First Name:
    Frank
    That's excellent advice, Vic.

Vic96 likes this.