1. Welcome Home to the DVC Boards at DVCinfo.com, an online community where you can join other Disney Vacation Club members (and potential members) from around the world discussing all things related to Disney and DVC. We pride ourselves on being a pleasant community built around people posting news and information, getting and giving help and guidance, and just having fun and conversing with other people who share our interest in DVC and Disney.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. To gain full access to the DVCinfo discussion forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to actively participate in forum discussions, start new discussion topics and vote in site polls, communicate privately with other DVC devotees, post your own photos, and much more. So, Come Join the Fun!

Registration is absolutely free, so register today! You can even login using your Facebook, Twitter or Google account for immediate access. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Or, skip the registration process by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter or Google account.

Rumor DVC expansion at Disney’s Contemporary Resort?

Discussion in 'DVC News and Rumors' started by DVC Mike, Aug 17, 2016.

1. DVC Mike

DVC Mike Administrator Staff Member Administrator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WDW News Today is reporting:

While Caribbean Beach Resort will likely be the next Disney Vacation Club addition at Walt Disney World, supposedly Disney is already looking ahead to expanding their DVC presence at the Contemporary Resort with another Bay Lake Tower-type wing.

While still a few years off, early design has begun on a new tower for Disney’s Contemporary Resort. The exact location of the new wing is still in-flux right now, but the competing sites range from the planned site of the Persian Resort (a cancelled original hotel planned for the Walt Disney World Resort back in the 1970’s) and the space currently occupied by the convention center at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. The Persian Resort site seems far more likely at this time, but other sources are speculating that the convention center would be the site of the new addition.

Separately, the convention center is set to be removed in the coming years in favor of an expanded convention center at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort.

While the building would have a very different look from the existing Bay Lake Tower, it should have a similar height and size to that of the first addition made in 2008.

The new hotel wing would boast better views of the Magic Kingdom than Bay Lake Tower if constructed, as it would be even closer to the park. Rumor has it that the price point at this new wing would be much higher than Bay Lake Tower, rivaling or surpassing the Polynesian Village Resort DVC additions.

Again, the project is not formally announced by Disney, but is in the design phase at this time. The new resort wing could be more than 5 years from completion at this point and could easily be cancelled at any point prior to construction, but sources close to the project say it is as good as green-lit at this point in time.

Source: RUMOR: Another "Bay Lake Tower" Vacation Club Wing To Be Constructed at Disney's Contemporary Resort - WDW News Today

OldWDWMap2.jpg BLT2.jpg

2. rfc0001

rfc0001 Elite Member Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Russ
    We've seen time and time again where plans have not come to pass (yet):
    • Fort Wilderness DVC (plans have been publically leaked)
    • PVB Phase 3 (@Tikiman has stated publically he has seen the plans)
    • CBR (@Tikiman has stated publically he has seen the plans and other reliable sources have confirmed the same information privately)
    Based on the above, any one of these may be the next DVC after CCV, depending on what they think will be the best fit. I think it's hard enough to say with any certainty what the next resort will be, let alone 3 out. I think this is just idle speculation :whistle:.

3. WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer Master Member Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Bob
    I'm trying to envision a better/closer view of MK than BLT. The new bus lot screwed the pooch on that one, IMHO. I always thought we'd see something there one day and actually thought that might be what was going on when they started talking about clearing over there.

Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the monorail, but that was always one of the inside rumors as to why "Tower 2" was never built. No views to sell. The existing Contemporary (which ain't going NOWHERE in out lifetimes) just simply blocks all views any tower might have until it goes above the existing structure. I need to find a map of where the Persian was supposed to go. It's been a long time and I've actually forgotten where it was supposed to go. I know it was down a little ways, but still, that's getting further away from MK. Can't imagine better views than BLT has now much of anywhere that's seems reasonable to build.

What they ought to do is butt one up to the park like DL, but I'm afraid, from a practical standpoint, that ship has long since sailed.

{Waiting patiently for Mike or Russ to post the map. :D }

rfc0001 likes this.
  4. rfc0001

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Russ
  5. Granny

Granny Master Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Tom

I'm waiting patiently too. :) But as I recall, the Persian resort was supposed to be on the west Side of Bay Lake, north of CR/BLT. So yes, it could have great views of MK but it seems that a significant part of that view could be the "backside of water" that Disney doesn't want people to look at too much. I guess they could build a walkway to MK to connect with the BLT walkway, and add a boat pickup to the Bay Lake resorts.

Not sure how the resort would have factored into the monorail loop.

6. WilsonFlyer

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Bob
    I'm pretty familiar with where all that is. I walk it all the time. :D

I Want to know where the Persian was proposed on the monorail loop. :)

7. Granny

Granny Master Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Okay Russ, you posted before I could finish typing. :) Great graphic as always. :thumbsup3:

8. rfc0001

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Hey, it's there already :poke::p.

I think the rumor is to put it where the convention center is, which would have an unobstructed (albeit parking lot) view of MK. There was speculation a second tower was planned where the South Garden wing is, but that the foundation couldn't support a tower there.

9. WilsonFlyer

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Mike and Russ are my Robos reincarnated. :D

10. WilsonFlyer

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Bob
    There's also talk of where the Persian was supposed to go. That was down a ways, wasn't it? Like between CR and the TTC?