1. Hi! Welcome Home to the DVCinfo Community Forums! We pride ourselves on being a pleasant community built around people discussing Disney Vacation Club and Disney News & Information or just enjoying talking with other DVC members (and potential members). We do our best to make this a friendly & enjoyable place. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!
  2. Hi, you are viewing our Forums as a Guest. Registered Members can Like Posts, Mark Forums Read, view New Posts since last visit, get Alerts for Followed Forums & Threads, participate in Discussions, Vote in Polls, Post & Rate Photos, Download Resources, have private Conversations, & view our DVC Rent, Trade, Transfer & Exchange Forum. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!

NEWS Next DVC: Disney Riviera Resort

Discussion in 'DVC News & Discussions' started by DVC Mike, Jul 15, 2017.

1. DVC Mike

DVC Mike Founder

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Mike
    DRR.jpg

CELEBRATION, Fla., July 15, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Today at D23 Expo in Anaheim, Calif., Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, announced the next planned development for Disney Vacation Club will be an entirely new resort near Epcot called Disney Riviera Resort and that a new skyway transportation system will connect the new resort to other areas on Walt Disney World property.

The next planned development for Disney Vacation Club will be an entirely new resort called Disney Riviera Resort. Estimated to open in fall 2019, this new resort experience is slated to be the 15th Disney Vacation Club property with approximately 300 units spread across a variety of accommodation types. A new skyway transportation system will connect the new resort to other areas on Walt Disney World property. (Proposed – Artist Concept Only, © Disney)
    "We're thrilled to announce plans for a new Disney Vacation Club property called Disney Riviera Resort coming to Walt Disney World Resort," Chapek said. "Our Vacation Club Members are among our most loyal fans, and we think that they will love what we have planned, especially the rooftop restaurant that will offer unbelievable views of nighttime spectaculars at both Epcot and Hollywood Studios."

In addition, Chapek announced that a whole new transportation system of gondolas is planned, called the Disney Skyliner, to give guests a never-before-seen birds-eye view of Walt Disney World and connect the new Disney Vacation Club property, Disney's Art of Animation, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach resorts with Disney's Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at Epcot.

Estimated to open in fall 2019, this new resort experience is slated to be the 15th Disney Vacation Club property with approximately 300 units spread across a variety of accommodation types.

###

hakunamatata, Lori L and Bob N like this.
  2. Bob N

Bob N Staff Member Administrator

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, OKW, SSR
    First Name:
    Bob
    Wow!

3. Bobby

Bobby Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Bob
    TAKE... the points I already own at 7 months. :D

AuLYNi and Russ like this.
  4. Bob N

Bob N Staff Member Administrator

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, OKW, SSR
    First Name:
    Bob
    Plus borrowing all of the next year's points. :rofl4:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017
    Bobby and Russ like this.
  5. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Active Member

DVC Since:
    Looks great.

Russ and 3 Hobbits 2 Disney like this.
  6. Russ

Russ Staff Member Site Owner

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
  7. wdrl2

wdrl2 Well-Known Member

DVC Since:
    This looks very interesting!

Russ likes this.
  8. Dlandmom

Dlandmom Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, PVB
    First Name:
    Jeannie
    That's a really good point!

I like that it has the gondola access as a second transportation option in addition to the bus system (I wonder if it will also have bus service to Epcot and DHS). I also like that it has rooftop dining with views of the Epcot and DHS fireworks/shows.

Russ likes this.
  9. wdrl2

wdrl2 Well-Known Member

DVC Since:
    Its interesting that Disney has announced the Riviera Resort two days before the "newest" DVC resort -- Copper Creek -- has opened.

It will be interesting to see how the announcement of the Riviera Resort impacts sales and marketing of the other DVC properties. The Polynesian sales should wrap up before the end of this year, but Copper Creek should still be ongoing when Riviera sales begin in mid-2019 (assuming it opens in late 2019).

Russ likes this.
  10. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    :yeahthat:

I thought the same thing. Generally pre-announcing any product before it goes on sale is a really bad idea, since it reduces demand for the current product. So, it's either extremely bullish, or extremely foolish. Maybe they want a MK-area resort to sell in parallel with DRR (sorry had to abbreviate it, because you know we will :p).

WDWFanDave likes this.
  11. Bellecruiser

Bellecruiser Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Meg
    Looking at the drawing of the proposed resort I am reminded of the Four Seasons. It looks very posh and upscale...

Bobby and Russ like this.
  12. Bobby

Bobby Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Bob
    That's pretty much exactly what I said to Donna when I saw the picture. Welcome to the Bonnet Creek Hilton.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2017
  13. Dexter

Dexter Active Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV, BWV, CCV, PVB
    First Name:
    Matthew
    While I am personally not a fan of the "posh" feel that some resorts / hotels can portray, I am really excited about this DVC. I am one of the few people who hold DHS to be one of my favorite resorts so anything with direct access is great in my opinion!

14. wdrl2

wdrl2 Well-Known Member

DVC Since:
    I wouldn't characterize the announcement of the Riviera Resort as being either bullish or foolish. Keep in mind that back in 2008-2010 DVC brought five projects online: AKV-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower, Villas at Grand Californian, the Saratoga Springs Treehouse expansion, plus Aulani (which started sales in July 2010). And it was during the height of the recession when money was tight and travel was significantly reduced. With the exception of Aulani -- which has its own set of extenuating circumstances -- DVD was able to sell all of those resorts even though they were supposedly competing with one another.

I'm of the opinion that as far as DVD is concerned "points are points." It doesn't really matter whether that 150-point deed that was just bought was for the Polynesian or Copper Creek; DVD gets ($176 * 150 points =) $26,400 either way. Copper Creek sales started in March 2017 and have been rather mediocre, at best. On the hand, Polynesian sales have continued to flourish despite the presence of Copper Creek on the market. However, once the Polynesian reaches its "sold out" point, I expect the Copper Creek sales to increase dramatically.

I think the same sales pattern will happen in the Fall of 2019 when the Riviera comes online. Copper Creek sales will dominate for a few months while the Riviera will have modest sales. The only exception might be during the Riviera's first month of sales. There may be a lot of existing DVC members that will do add-ons at the Riviera that first month in order to get access to an Epcot-Hollywood Studios resort. Remember, the Villas of Grand Floridian had a phenomenal startup in 2013 with over 300,000 points sold in its first 6 weeks or so. But after the initial sales period, VGF sales averaged less than 100,000 points a month over its next 21 months of sales. Ironically, once the Polynesian sales started in January 2015, VGF's average monthly sales actually increased to over 115,000 points in January to April 2015.

WDWFanDave and Russ like this.
  15. Maleficent

Maleficent Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV, BCV, BLT, BWV
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Us too but will depend on actual layout, pool, etc.

Russ likes this.
  16. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    All good points. I think there will be a lot of existing DVC members adding on at DRR, unlike CCV. They made a big mistake with CCV IMO not offering any pre-sale discount to existing members (beyond what they could get after the pre-sale). I'm waiiting for a a bigger discount like we saw with DVC 25th annivesary offer for Poly (which was a better value than the pre-sale for existing members). With DRR (still doesn't roll off the tounge), I'm hoping they learned their lesson from CCV and offer a special pre-sale price for existing members, although I expect sales will be brisk for existing and new members as it will be the only DVC resort with direct access to Epcot and DHS.

17. wdrl2

wdrl2 Well-Known Member

DVC Since:
    I'm not sure if there are any lessons to be learned about how CCV has been priced or marketed. VGF had zero discounts and it sold out in about 22-23 months. The Poly had zero discounts for its first year of sales, but is now on pace to sell out in less than 3 years (keep in mind that the Poly is about 60% larger than VGF). CCV doesn't have enticing discounts currently, but it will sell out in due course.

I agree that the Riviera is a much more exciting and appealing resort that Copper Creek. In my mind, the Riviera takes the spotlight because of its location and the Skyliner (nee gondola) system giving access to Epcot and DHS/Star Wars. We know nothing about the theming or rooms at the Riviera, but that is secondary to its location.

Copper Creek's drawback is that it is has to shake the perception that it is nothing more than an expansion of an existing DVC resort. Its difficult for Copper Creek to show that it offers anything new and exciting that isn't already available at Boulder Ridge Villas. I think for most DVC members, Wilderness Lodge is a nice option, but it isn't high on their "must-book" list. Most members who want Wilderness as a home resort probably already own points at BRV. Thus, I don't think it has been the lack of discounts at Copper Creek that have stymied sales.

All that will change with the Riviera. New location, new transportation options, easy Park access. Barring outrageously high prices, it will sell quite well.

18. AuLYNi

AuLYNi Well-Known Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, BCV, PVB
    First Name:
    Lyn
    Direct access is great, but I find myself a little sad at the theming of this resort. With it co-located with CBR I thought it would be logical for it to have a pirates theme and maybe a walking path connecting it to CBR in order to also be able to take advantage of the CBR pool and cafes. I just hope they can pull off some themeing that will make it feel Disney (for example, I find the same lack of themeing makes BLT unappealing to me when at Disney, even though the fancy bit is exactly what I want when outside of Disney). I guess that when I go to Disney I just want something that feels a bit magical - I can stay at a 4 seasons or other fancy place whenever I travel elsewhere.

Also, by "Direct Access" do you all think there will be walking paths to the parks, or just the gondolas? Walking access would be nice.

What I will say is that since home is Beach Club for me, I do hope they add some posh signature dining here - would be great to have another Victoria & Albert's caliber restaurant that is easy access to BCV. I also like that we can use the Skyline as alternate transport to DHS - I imagine that it would be faster than the boats from BCV.

19. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    The first thing I thought of was the old Eagle Pines resort that Disney announced as a DVC and then scrapped to sell to Four Seasons and Golden Oak. Here's the concept art that Disney released for that resort:

dvcnever_eaglepines.jpg

While a different architectural style, it still gives off that same luxury hotel vibe.

It will be interesting to see the details of the new resort since they are starting from ground zero. No excuses not to have the drop down beds and sleeper chairs to enhance occupancy. And my guess is they will add the 2nd bathroom to the 1BR layout like AKV-Kidani and BLT.

The point schedule will be interesting too.

Russ and AuLYNi like this.
  20. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    All good points. One of the other things that will help CCV sales is that Disney went back to a more "normal" point system pretty much matching that of VWL (BRV), BCV and BWV-Preferred point rates.

I think Riviera's main drawback will be that it has to shake the perception that it is "connected" to a moderate resort. It sounds like they plan on enough stand-alone amenities that it shouldn't be an issue, but geography alone will provide an association for some people. But based on the concept art, it looks like they will be going out of their way to make sure that nobody thinks this is a moderate DVC resort.

As I mentioned above, it will be interesting to see the point schedule. Will the Skyliner become the new monorail system that so many people love? If so, it is interesting that they have a Moderate and Value resort as part of the route.

21. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    By direct access, I was just referring to the gondolas. I haven't seen any indication of walking paths.

22. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
  23. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
  24. KittyAB

KittyAB Active Member

We are really interested in this one. We wanted points that had Epcot/HS access. Hopefully the points value not be as high as the Poly.

Russ likes this.
  25. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    The point chart is up in the air, but the point cost will almost certainly be the same or higher as the then current price of Copper Creek Villas, which will still be on sale when Disney Riviera Resort goes on sale in 2019. Also, Disney making the resort distinct from its moderate CBR neighbor and early details indicates it is not intended to be a once rumored "moderate" DVC.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017