1. Hi! Welcome Home to the DVCinfo Community Forums! We pride ourselves on being a pleasant community built around people discussing Disney Vacation Club and Disney News & Information or just enjoying talking with other DVC members (and potential members). We do our best to make this a friendly & enjoyable place. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!
  2. Hi, you are viewing our Forums as a Guest. Registered Members can Like Posts, Mark Forums Read, view New Posts since last visit, get Alerts for Followed Forums & Threads, participate in Discussions, Vote in Polls, Post & Rate Photos, Download Resources, have private Conversations, & view our DVC Rent, Trade, Transfer & Exchange Forum. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!

Rumor Saratoga is supposedly getting a major revamp

Discussion in 'DVC News & General Discussions' started by Wakey, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Two separate people (one English on Dibb, the other USA on another forum) have both reported that CMs have said SSR is shortly to get a 'major revamp' which will include Murphy Beds. I wondered if anyone else (DVC Mike?) had heard similar?

2. DVC Mike

DVC Mike Founder

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Refurbishments have recently been completed at Kidani Village, Vero Beach and Villas at the Grand Californian. Old Key West refurbishments are underway. The last soft goods refurb for SSR was in 2013, so the next one shouldn't be until 2020.

Wakey likes this.
  3. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ok thanks Mike, I suspect you will be the first to hear if there is any truth to the reports.

4. Russ

Russ Staff Member Site Owner

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    Thanks for the intel, and welcome to DVCinfo! I don't doubt it will happen, just a question of when. In other news, ROFR activity was reportedly more than double in January, specifically SSR. It seems to be a hot seller direct, so perhaps something is afoot.

:welcome3:

Wakey and Bobby like this.
  5. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Thanks, great site by the way. Love all the charts about historical price increases etc, some real work gone in there.

Russ likes this.
  6. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    @DVC Mike gets all the credit for the informational site :worship:

AuLYNi likes this.
  7. Syndrome

Syndrome Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Roger
    I think the WAY higher than average ROFR for SSR in early 2017 is directly related to DVD's promo when buying new Poly contracts direct .
    "Now through May 31, 2017, when you add on at least 125 Vacation Points at Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, you'll receive 100 one-time-use Vacation Points which you may use for a weeklong stay at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. "

They have to get those "free" points from somewhere I guess . :duck:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017
    hakunamatata and Russ like this.
  8. 3 Hobbits 2 Disney

3 Hobbits 2 Disney Well-Known Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    SSR
    First Name:
    Dianne
    No Murphy beds at SSR! I am adamently opposed to increasing occupancy - and the associated wear and tear - at SSR. Spruce it up, sure. Change the core, no.

9. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    I think there is plenty of excess SSR inventory that goes to Disney to rent at 60 days that they can reimburse DVC for to trade for the added bookings. Plus they own 2% of SSR, which doesn't sound like a lot, but SSR is a huge resort. I'm thinking it's for resale.

hakunamatata likes this.
  10. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    If you search the comptroller website, you'll see they are reselling SSR quite a lot- at $145 a point! These are no small contracts either, and people are getting large Disney mortgages to pay. It's a bit crazy if you ask me, I just managed to get a 160 pointer for 75 a point all 2016 points banked into 2017 which I immediately rented out, meaning a contract with all 2017 on points cost me $64 a point- compared to $145. Madness.

hakunamatata, Lori L and Russ like this.
  11. Shaden

Shaden Active Member

Mmm, I am all for the Murphy Beds. The increased traffic wont be significant, but it will create more options for WDW and DVC guests, and to me that's a good thing.

Like for us, with one little one. We wouldn't be bringing in more people, but a murphy bed as opposed to a fold out couch would be much more convenient (if it worked the same way they do in POR). At the same time it would allow some people of 5 (like friends and family of ours) who have opted to stay in Moderates BECAUSE they sleep 5, DVC would look a lot more attractive to them if a studio would sleep 5 as well. That being said, Studios only account for a portion of the rooms at SSR, and clearly not all (or even most) stays in the studios would include a 5th person. So the increased traffic would be quite minimal I would think.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2017
    Debbie J. and Russ like this.
  12. 3 Hobbits 2 Disney

DVC Since:
    Home:
    SSR
    First Name:
    Dianne
    I bought SSR with expectation that the accommodations, including wear and tear, would be in line with the occupancy limits - which is 4 in the studios. If families of 5 need accommodations then they should buy the points for appropriate rooms -- whether that is a 1BR or AKL. The mantra of buy where you want to stay includes accommodation sizes -- I bought my points to provide for my family. Families that need to room 5 or more should do the same. Sorry to sound heartless but SSR is a luxury and an "investment" -- I want to protect mine.

13. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    I would also like to see Murphy beds. We are a family of 4 one girl and a boy, they don't want to share a sleeper sofa now getting older. Even the 1 beds only have 4 sleeping surfaces, and that is unlikely to change, it's ridiculous. I can't see there being much more wear and tear as a result of 5 people in rather than 4. I haven't seen complaints about this from other owners. If I go in a 1 bed or 2 bed and a studio in the same development, I've never noticed that the units that hold more people are in a worse state of repair or wear and tear than the studio. Maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Shaden and Syndrome like this.
  14. Shaden

Shaden Active Member

You aren't, its a concern that has been raised not based on any fact or evidence, only misplaced worry that again isn't based on any logical (mathematical) reality regarding increased visitors and a correlated increase on wear and tear.

15. 3 Hobbits 2 Disney

DVC Since:
    Home:
    SSR
    First Name:
    Dianne
    Having been owners for 12 years, I made my purchase decision based on occupancy, number of points needed for my family and projected vacation plans. My point is no one is entitled to DVC; if you need room for 5, then buy points for a 1 BR, buy at a resort that was designed for 5 in a studio - manage your expectations.

Shaden - you are incorrect. SSR has some of the lowest maintenance fees compared to other resorts because we are larger and have not had a physical upgrade need (like OKW as an example). I am in no hurry to add additional occupancy that accelerates my refresh or causes the resort to deteriorate because the refresh schedule does not change. Mean time between failure/repair has as a key variable the number of uses/users. This model is used by industry to manage warranties, predict repair times for material, etc. -- hardly a "misplaced worry."

16. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    I'm with Shaden on this one. Many DVC have had the Murphy beds put in, and whilst I may have missed it, I haven't seen anyone else expressing your concerns. I think you are worrying about nothing, but it's a legitimate standpoint all the same.

17. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    All valid points/counterpoints :tu:.

18. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    I would think this is a very common issue that the drop down bed addresses.

The only thing that leaves me scratching my head is when they do a refurb like they did at VWL where the studios now sleep 5 and the 1BR sleeps 4 (officially).

It doesn't affect my situation really, but it is weird to me. :confused2:

Russ and Shaden like this.
  19. Shaden

Shaden Active Member

That is a bit odd isn't it ? Again, doesn't impact me. I don't see the value in 1 Bdrms. More than double the points, I don't really use the kitchen other than for toast or heating leftovers (microwave). Sleeps the same number as a studio. Heck could even have 2 studios for the same price if you wanted 2 full real beds :)

But I know some people like them :)

20. Lori L

Lori L Staff Member Administrator

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV
    First Name:
    Lori
    We've progressed to two bedrooms, but what the one bedrooms offer over the studio (other than the kitchen) is laundry in your room. And some offer an extra bathroom.

GG1429, Bobby and Russ like this.
  21. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    Yep, count me in the group that prefer 1BRs. Just DW & I these days, and we always book a 1BR. As @Lori L indicates, the in-room laundry is a big plus for us. But mostly what we love is that if one of us gets up early or stays up late, he/she can use the living room area, kitchen and television without disturbing the other one.

For us, we purchased DVC to enhance the accommodations on our trips, not to save money. Having said that, if Disney wants to reallocate points to make studios and 1BRs closer in nightly points, I won't argue. :)

Bobby and Russ like this.
  22. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    I agree. I think the market for 5 in a studio is on completely opposite ends than the 1-2 bdrm market. Folks getting a 1 Bedroom are willing to pay double a studio for space and comfort, and will likely upgrade to 2 bedrooms when they need 5. People cramming 4 in a studio (same occupancy as 1 bedroom) are all about the value. 5 People in the same space is even more about the value -- not space or comfort.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Bobby likes this.
  23. Disney13

Disney13 Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    SSR
    First Name:
    Lori
    In room laundry would be important to us if we stayed longer than 3 nights at a time. Living two hours away doesn't make this a priority.

24. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    Lori...that's a great point. We always stay a minimum of 7 nights and typically in the 10-12 night range per trip. So in room laundry is huge for us and our packing. That and Owners Locker. :)

If we were doing short trips like Lori, I'm sure we'd finally break down and stay in a studio. At this point, it is a 1BR for the two of us and a 2BR if we have one or both of our two daughters with us. So you are right, Russ, we put the premium on comfort for our WDW vacations.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017
    3 Hobbits 2 Disney, Disney13 and Russ like this.
  25. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    This is why I'm reticent to stay in any 1 bed apart from OKW, AKV, BLT and I think VGF, in that these are the only ones that have 5 sleeping surfaces so my son and daughter don't share a sofa bed. They should really have tried to get a 5th bed solution in the other 1 beds. I'd really like to book BWV or BCV but I'd have to take a camp bed, which doesn't seem right when someone spending half the points gets that extra bed.

Bobby likes this.