1. Hi! Welcome Home to the DVCinfo Community Forums! We pride ourselves on being a pleasant community built around people discussing Disney Vacation Club and Disney News & Information or just enjoying talking with other DVC members (and potential members). We do our best to make this a friendly & enjoyable place. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!
  2. Hi, you are viewing our Forums as a Guest. Registered Members can Like Posts, Mark Forums Read, view New Posts since last visit, get Alerts for Followed Forums & Threads, participate in Discussions, Vote in Polls, Post & Rate Photos, Download Resources, have private Conversations, & view our DVC Rent, Trade, Transfer & Exchange Forum. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!

Rumor The Next DVC Resort?

Discussion in 'Resorts' started by Russ, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
?

What will be the next DVC Resort?

1. DVC at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. A second DVC resort at Disney's Contemporary Resort

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. DVC at Disney's Yacht Club Resort

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. DVC at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. DVC at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. A second DVC resort at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Star Wars and/or Toy Story themed DVC at DHS

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. Other (write-in below)

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Russ

Russ Staff Member Site Owner

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    There have been rumors of DVC expansion at several Disney Resorts over the years:
    What do you think will be the next DVC Resort? Vote above and comment below.

2. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    I voted for a second DVC at Contemporary, since DVC really needs to keep adding MK resorts, and it makes sense to round robin them in the following order:
    1. BLT at Contemporary
    2. VGF at GF
    3. PVB at PVR
    4. CCV at WL
    5. BLT 2 at Contemporary
    6. PVB 2 at PVR
    7. FW (similar to WL)
    I think at some point they'll throw a non-MK resort in the mix (likely CBR), probably before or after BLT 2 (or in parallel)

DisneyDenis likes this.
  3. DVC Mike

DVC Mike Founder

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Mike
    I think as Disney consolidates convention space at Coronado Springs and Yacht Club, a DVC resort at those two locations makes less sense. Removing the convention space at the Contemporary would seem to make a lot of sense, and would allow a DVC expansion there. The DVC at CBR still seems alive too. So, likely CBR followed by BLT2?

CinderBelle and Russ like this.
  4. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    I think Disney likes this "conversion" formula they have now where they take under-utilized space and convert it to profitable DVC space with a pretty fast return on construction investment. And they make existing properties more profitable by splitting some of their overhead out to DVC owners.

DVC at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort...the plans I have seen are looking at undeveloped area at CBR. Moderate resort and not converting existing rooms means probably a low priority.

A second DVC resort at Disney's Contemporary Resort...any time they can add a monorail resort the sales people have to be salivating. This would split CR costs even more and make it more profitable than it already is. Only down side is I'm not sure they have room for another pool. I think this is high on their wish list. Of course, it would block CCV cabin views of MK fireworks so I'm sure they won't want a rumor gaining traction until they have CCV pretty much sold out. :)

DVC at Disney's Yacht Club Resort...a conversion at a luxury resort may be tempting. I think this is the second most likely.

Previously leaked DVC at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort...A stand alone resort built at a somewhat esoteric location of Ft Wilderness. I never thought this made much sense but hey, they obviously have considered it based on their filings.

DVC at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort...new construction at a moderate resort? Not sure where the DVC would go especially as @DVC Mike points out they seem to be consolidating convention business there.

A second DVC resort at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort (e.g. a tower where site balloons were once floated over Spirit of Aloha)...monorail resorts are always appealing and a tower could provide some spectacular views. But it really flies against the Polynesian theming of the whole resort. Not that Disney won't put profit ahead of theming but a tower in Polynesia just doesn't seem to fit.

Star Wars and/or Toy Story themed DVC at DHS...Maybe in the long term plans but new construction with no conversion/profit enhancement of existing facilities? I would think this is low on Disney's list unless they think they can create some new type of DVC that's even more profitable.

DisneyDenis, Lori L and Russ like this.
  5. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    Rooftop pool maybe? :woot3:

AuLYNi, CinderBelle and Granny like this.
  6. Maleficent

Maleficent Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV, BCV, BLT, BWV
    First Name:
    Lisa
    We loved staying at French Quarter before joining DVC. Would love to see that whole resort/theming turned to DVC. Plus boat access to Disney Springs. Anyone think that would ever occur?

That being said, a closer than BWV resort to HS is long over due. Or a BCV2 on the other side of Epcot lagoon?

But BLT2 with walking to MK and monorail access would work as long as they add in a pool for it as well. To add to Russ' rooftop pool idea: an infinity rooftop pool that you can watch fireworks from....

7. Frank

Frank Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BLT
    First Name:
    Frank
    This is just wishful thinking, based on what I would actually consider buying, but a 5 story BLT II would be cool, even without its own pool. My first choice, and something I'd probably sell a couple of my BLT contracts to get, is a Yacht Club DVC.

LauraM likes this.
  8. Maleficent

Maleficent Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV, BCV, BLT, BWV
    First Name:
    Lisa
    And a 5 story BLT2 would probably not block CCV view either!

Interesting about Yacht Club as Yacht & BCV share the same SAB pool that I consider almost same resort even though it isn't. To add to your idea, think they would extend the BCV contracts like they had done at OKW? Or re-do the SAB pool closer to BCV end date as the new Yacht DVC would be way past BCV end date?

9. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    There is no indication they'll even do an extension for BRV (VWL) which only has 25 years remaining to CCV's 50. I think the OKW extension was a bitter experience for all (most?) that they won't repeat again.

AnnaS likes this.
  10. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    :yeahthat:

Agree completely.

Russ likes this.
  11. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    I think Disney would only convert resort rooms to DVC if there are significant occupancy issues at the resort. In this case, I'm not aware of any major occupancy issues at POFQ or POR.

Since DHS has only been half a park for a while now, it is hard to justify a new resort close to there. But after they open the new lands, and whatever additional upgrades they have in mind for the park, it could be a possibility.

Sounds pretty cool. Kind of one-ups the dip pool at the Poly bungalows! :)

12. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    Has this been the case with all other DVC conversions at existing resorts? I don't know that it hasn't, just asking.
    That's true for now, but once Star Wars and Toy Story Lands open up, plus with the announced Epcot overhaul, it seems inevitable they'll need to add more Epcot/DHS resorts eventually.

13. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    I will admit that I have no hard facts. But my understanding is that Wilderness Lodge has always had occupancy issues and has had an issue holding the Luxury resort status. Likewise, and I have no data, I had heard that the North and South wings at the Contemporary historically have not filled quickly (of course, North wing is gone now). Also, AKL might have been overbuilt for the demand though they didn't take half of the rooms like they did at WL.

I would just think that Disney likes the win-win scenario of converting non-occupied rooms into DVC cash cows, and by extension make the remaining resort rooms more profitable by reducing the resort overhead. Conversely, if a resort is continually at high occupancy they wouldn't want to convert any rooms there.

I could be way off on this but I think it makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Russ likes this.
  14. Maleficent

Maleficent Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV, BCV, BLT, BWV
    First Name:
    Lisa
    With Disney moving kinda slow on some things, by the time they finish Star Wars and Toy Story Lands, if they started a DVC resort soon near HS, maybe they would all be done at once. Bet that would boost direct sales to be a 1st to own and walk to HS conveniently for the crowded new lands. Just a thought.

CinderBelle and Russ like this.
  15. Disney Cheshire

Disney Cheshire Veteran Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    PVB
    First Name:
    Liz
    I'm a little late here because the holidays keep interrupting my plans for the day!

I vote Other. I think they will build the next DVC on a Caribbean island. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though!

Russ and Lori L like this.
  16. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hey, this is the season for wishful thinking! You never know!!! :)

17. Syndrome

Syndrome Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Roger
    I am on board with a Caribbean ISLAND DVC. They have the Pacific already , how about an East Coast island resort .
    Perfect location, and Disney has the property already. Cruise ships that go from Cape Canaveral already (I am sure they can come up with a ferry type system ) . Talk about a captive audience !
    The main problem is the passport requirement. They may be able to get around that , by incorporating some kind of closed loop cruise ship transportation.

It could happen ............ ;)

Russ likes this.
  18. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    Unfortunately, Disney's latest attempt at buying a Caribbean island fell through.

That said, I think the most successful DVC would be a resort like Aulani but in the mainland US (e.g. Florida). When we've stayed at Aulani, we've hardly left the resort. The fact it was in Hawaii was secondary if not irrelevant. If anything, the cost and length of the flights to Hawaii prevent us from visiting it more often. If they had one on the mainland, it would be sold out year round. Maybe Disney is afraid of enticing people away from the World?

19. CinderBelle

CinderBelle Well-Known Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Mom to 3
    I'm really liking the idea of a blt2 with an Infiniti pool on the roof ;) I'm also a fan of another resort close enough to walk easily to dhs.

Russ likes this.
  20. AnnaS

AnnaS Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BCV, OKW
    First Name:
    Anna
    So many rumors but have no idea which one is a possibility. I guess another one near DHS/Epcot area? Definitely curious to see where the next one will be. They keep building and building, I guess they keep selling out so why not. They need to start offering more - expand new area, another park/attraction - not something new/refurbished within the same land/space they are utilizing now. I would love another choice off-site where we can go year-round.

Russ likes this.
  21. JWG

JWG Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BLT, BWV
    First Name:
    J
    Aulani wasn't about the U.S. guest, it was about the Asia guest. Trying to pull ownership interest from international travelers (to some extend anyway).

The issue with more monorail resorts is the monorail can't handle the traffic. They'll need to determine different ways to get people around. The lines at the resorts for those doing dining and such are getting so long that you have to wait for multiple monorails to come around to get on at times. Maybe Disney doesn't care, but these are supposed to be deluxe resorts with deluxe amenities and I don't think travel issues go over well with that crowd.

22. Russ

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    There's an easy solution to capacity....require magic band with MK resort stay to ride the resort monorail. Right now, non-resort guests regularly use from TTS to MK and back. Even as it is, the resort monorail is never as full as the non-resort monorail, so think it has a ways to go before it actually over capacity.

GG1429 and Maleficent like this.
  23. Disney Cheshire

Disney Cheshire Veteran Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    PVB
    First Name:
    Liz
    When we were at Poly the end of November, the line for the Monorail was back to the Ohana check in. We were staying at BWV so just grabbed a cab downstairs back to the resort. The next day the line at Contemporary was backed up so much a CM was at the bottom of the escalator stopping folks from going up. We walked over to MK and took a boat for our dining reservations instead. So there IS a capacity problem at times even now.

Requiring scanning a magic band would work providing it recognises dining reservations. I'm not sure it does because CM usually have a list for pre rope drop reservations. I think at park closing they utilize any means possible to empty the park too.

Russ likes this.
  24. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Active Member

DVC Since:
    I voted for CBR area, but really wish they would the old BB/DHS plans. In 3 years, DHS will have major demand (Star Wars land and Toy Story land), just like Radiator Springs boosted CA.

California-themed resort for Walt Disney World?

For demand reasons, I would put CBR on the back burner until the Epcot changes will be done.

25. yvonneb

yvonneb Veteran Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Yvonne
    ooooooooo, how awesome would that be!