1. Welcome Home to the DVC Boards at DVCinfo.com, an online community where you can join other Disney Vacation Club members (and potential members) from around the world discussing all things related to Disney and DVC. We pride ourselves on being a pleasant community built around people posting news and information, getting and giving help and guidance, and just having fun and conversing with other people who share our interest in DVC and Disney.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. To gain full access to the DVCinfo discussion forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to actively participate in forum discussions, start new discussion topics and vote in site polls, communicate privately with other DVC devotees, post your own photos, and much more. So, Come Join the Fun!

Registration is absolutely free, so register today! You can even login using your Facebook, Twitter or Google account for immediate access. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Or, skip the registration process by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter or Google account.

VGC at 7 months? Update 4/16

Discussion in 'DVC Resorts' started by SaraSpringsisHome, Feb 6, 2017.

1. SaraSpringsisHome

SaraSpringsisHome Active Member

DVC Since:
    My brother and his family recently moved out west and are hoping to make a visit to Disneyland in November (19-22). What do you think the odds of getting a 1br at 7 months out would be? I know it's right before Thanksgiving, so I just have no idea if it will work out or not.

DH and I got a 1br at BCV 7 months out last year around the same time, but I have no idea if it would be a lot different since there is only VGC out west.

2. luaulei321

luaulei321 Veteran Member

DVC Since:
    There are only 23 one bedroom units at VGC. The count decreases for any lock-offs that are reserved before the 7 month window opens. It's not impossible, but I would plan on making other arrangements for hotel as it will be very difficult to get a reservation -- especially that close to Thanksgiving.

3. rfc0001

rfc0001 Elite Member Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Probably not likely week before Thanksgiving and regardless of your views on walking reservations, you will need to walk your reservation :D

4. SaraSpringsisHome

DVC Since:
    I had a feeling this was the case, but I'm going to try! I've never walked a reservation, so I'm not sure how exactly that works.

5. luaulei321

DVC Since:
    I'm not sure that walking would actually be helpful in this particular case as anyone with home resort priority can swoop in and scoop up any potentially available days before the 7 month window opens. The Christmas season is very popular at Disneyland, and I've personally had trouble securing reservations there if I waited too long after the 11 month window opened to decide to go. It's not impossible, but it's not the easiest reservation to get given that there are so few units total. Best of luck getting what you want.

6. rfc0001

rfc0001 Elite Member Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Russ
    If the week is available a week out from the 7-mos mark for your check-in date, you would want to go ahead and book a 7-night stay starting 6 days before your stay and including the first night of your actual stay. Then, each day at 9:00 call DVC and change the dates by 1 day, so you would have 2 nights of your stay, then 3, and so on until you have the whole stay. This allows you to block the first night of the stay from someone waiting until the day of the 7-mos window to book the same date -- effectively holding it a week earlier. As @luaulei321 alluded to, walking requires a lot of stars to align -- first the week you want must be available a week before the 7-mos window. Also, the week before the week you want must also be available (all nights) - if a single night isn't available, that breaks the chain, and you'll have to start walking starting the day after the day that isn't available. Also, each day people are booking online at 8AM, while you must wait until 9AM to call and change a reservation. Therefore, it's possible somone will book a reservation at 8AM that causes the next day after your current reservation to become unavailable. You could book a new reservation each day at 8AM if the days are still available, then cancel the previous one, but that requires having double the points you need. So, it can be done but requires a bit of jumping through hoops and there is still no guarantee it will work :D It just increases your chances. I only walk when I see a week that's still available coming up that normally extremely hard to get (e.g. AKV Club Level, VGC, VGF, etc.). Most times it isn't necessary, so is just a lot of effort unnecessarily. This is why I think the stink about it is unwarranted -- if it's not needed, it doesn't hurt anyone. If it is needed, it's the only way to get the reservation, and it's either you or somebody else that's going to get it -- better it be you :)

7. SaraSpringsisHome

DVC Since:
    Just an update: booked Nov 16-22 today at 8 a.m. on the nose! I will call member services in a couple day to modify the reservation and cancel the first 3 days, so I will be left with the 19-22, the dates my brother wanted.

I'm so, so happy it worked out! :yahoo::cool4:

DevoKun, Disney13 and magicaldisney like this.
  8. luaulei321

DVC Since:
    Congrats!