1. Welcome Home to the DVC Boards at DVCinfo.com, an online community where you can join other Disney Vacation Club members (and potential members) from around the world discussing all things related to Disney and DVC. We pride ourselves on being a pleasant community built around people posting news and information, getting and giving help and guidance, and just having fun and conversing with other people who share our interest in DVC and Disney.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. To gain full access to the DVCinfo discussion forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to actively participate in forum discussions, start new discussion topics and vote in site polls, communicate privately with other DVC devotees, post your own photos, and much more. So, Come Join the Fun!

Registration is absolutely free, so register today! You can even login using your Facebook, Twitter or Google account for immediate access. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Or, skip the registration process by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter or Google account.

What is worth extra money to you at the resorts and parks

Discussion in 'DVC Resorts' started by Merida, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Merida

Merida Veteran Member

First Name:
    Sherry
    one thing has that's changed over the years are the special events and extra that add to the cost of the vacation. Most every one adds on something . I imagine we all have different list of what we will spend extra on.
    Here is my list . What is yours ?

What is totally worth it?

Staying on property

Firework cruises

Food and wine booths

Ts meals ( well some of them)

Being able to walk to the resort at night

Twinings tea at U.K. Shop

Group tours of behind then scenes

What is not worth the extra cost?

The Christmas and Halloween parties

Character meals

Refillable mugs

VIP tours

Desert dinners

Princess costumes

AuLYNi likes this.
  2. AuLYNi

AuLYNi Active Member

Totally worth it
    • Character Meal. At least 1 of them (some are more worth it than others). I just think about the time it saves not waiting in line to meet favorite characters while at the parks.
    • Staying on Property. Again, time savings due to proximity and Disney transport.
    • Preferred Parking. If you're staying at a resort and want to drive anyway, it is only $15 to park in the preferred spots. They give you a free cold bottle of water for each person in the car (it was 5 for us). Free water bottles and not having to deal with folding the stroller for the parking tram was well worth the extra money for us.
    • Tables in Wonderland. We had lots of sit down meals, for a party of 7, so this saved us over $400 on this trip alone. Glad my mom is a Florida resident. This is one of the few perks I wish I could have access to as a second-class DVC member (but won't matter until my mom moves out of Florida).

Not worth it
    • Spirit of Aloha Luau. A luau with no free Mai Tais. Boooo!

rfc0001 likes this.
  3. Frank

Frank Elite Member Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Frank
    AWESOME thread, Sherry! I will give this some thought and come back to post........:tu:

4. 3 DD love princesses

3 DD love princesses Elite Member

DVC Since:
    totally worth it
    -all the memories we create and relive
    -some of the character meals
    -BBB - yes its over priced but I will continue to pay it for the memories
    - EMH great to ride extra rides without the crowds
    - community halls - so far we have had a great experience at them
    - refillable mugs - for us its saved a lot as kids can get a drink and if they don't drink it all its not like we lost a lot of money from buying each of them a drink each time
    - character interactions (I know we aren't paying extra as they are included in the park ticket) but wouldn't miss these
    - free transportation ( like not having to get a rental car right now to save us some money, I know one day we will have a car or will rent a car)

not worth the extra cost
    - haven't experienced these first hand but the halloween and christmas parties
    - photo pass - some pics aren't even clear, if it wasn't for it being included with the annual pass wouldn't have gotten it this last time
    - quick service dining plan
    - most of the snacks

Frank likes this.
  5. DVCNewbie1212

DVCNewbie1212 Veteran Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Dawn
    Totally Worth It:
    Park Hopper
    Select Character Meals
    Photo Pass
    Grocery Delivery
    Staying on Property

Not Worth It:
    Dining Plan
    Renting a car while staying on property
    FP+ for fireworks

6. USofAScott

USofAScott New Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Scott
    The Totally worth it to spend the money!
    Disney After Dark party
    Halloween and Christmas parties (early in the season)
    Dining Plan. It forces us to actually spend the time and money dining on more than nuggets, snacks and burgers. We always get our money worth and EAT A LOT
    Staying on property. I would not have bought Walt Disney World if I did not want to stay there :)
    festival food booths. Allows us to be adventurous eaters.
    Annual Passes

The Complete waste of our money list
    Refillable Mugs Last 2 times we visited, the mugs were filled when we picked them up, but never filled them again.
    Express Transportation
    Guided Tours
    <sarcasm>Universal Studios </sarcasm>

7. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    I heard resale could buy Tables in Wonderland- I don't think it is listed as an extra you cannot buy resale anywhere. As they charge for it, I think they want people to buy. One person on a forum said that they rang up and ordered it over the'phone. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone first hand who said they tried to buy it and was refused.

rfc0001 likes this.
  8. DVC Mike

DVC Mike Administrator Staff Member Administrator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Mike
    To purchase the card, you must be one of the following:

1. Florida Resident
    2. Disney Vacation Club Member
    3. Annual Passholder
    I believe you have to show a valid DVC Member Card, which are now only available to those who have purchased at least one contract direct from Disney.

How to Purchase:

• If you are a Disney Vacation Club Member, visit any Guest Relations location at a Walt Disney World® Theme Park or Disney Springs™ to purchase your Tables in Wonderland membership. Please present your Photo ID and your DVC Membership Card.
    However, if you purchase over the phone and have the card mailed to you, I guess the same restriction might not be enforced.

rfc0001 likes this.
  9. Wakey

Wakey Active Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Hi Mike, as a resale buyer you do get a digital membership card you can print, and also you are a member of DVC. So not sure, would like to see someone trying. Also someone reported ringing them up, getting it over the phone and having it posted. There is nothing on the TIW site I can see that says it is restricted to members who only purchased direct/ before April 2016. I am not saying you are wrong, but the restriction is not listed on there.

10. rfc0001

rfc0001 Elite Member Staff Member Moderator

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Do you have one of these printed cards? Does it indicate somewhere you are a member who purchased after April 4, 2016? Seems like a major loophole if not, as they are supposed to accept those cards in lieu of physical cards.

Note, the DVC Member Benefits site which lists TIW as a Benefit states all the benefits listed are not eligible for DVC Members purchasing resale after April 4, 2016:

upload_2017-3-3_9-22-32.png

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017