1. Hi! Welcome Home to the DVCinfo Community Forums! We pride ourselves on being a pleasant community built around people discussing Disney Vacation Club and Disney News & Information or just enjoying talking with other DVC members (and potential members). We do our best to make this a friendly & enjoyable place. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!
  2. Hi, you are viewing our Forums as a Guest. Registered Members can Like Posts, Mark Forums Read, view New Posts since last visit, get Alerts for Followed Forums & Threads, participate in Discussions, Vote in Polls, Post & Rate Photos, Download Resources, have private Conversations, & view our DVC Rent, Trade, Transfer & Exchange Forum. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

Login with a Facebook, Twitter, or Google Account or Register a new User Name & Password for full site access!

Which Contract do you think is better?...

Discussion in 'DVC Buying & Financial Discussions' started by FatalSports, Apr 12, 2017.

1. FatalSports

FatalSports Member

First Name:
    Samir
    First post here!

We've been looking into buying DVC membership for a little while. We've come across what we think is 2 good deals...what would you all recommend based on your previous experience/ownership.

Both are at Saratoga Springs...

OPTION 1
    160 Pts, $87 per pt.
    2015 160 banked pts - must be used by Dec 1, 2017
    2016 160 pts - can be banked or used (IF banking, must bank by July 1, 2017)
    2017 pts come Dec 1

OPTION 2
    180 Pts, $78 per pt.
    2016 180 banked pts - must be used between August 1, 2017 - July 31, 2018
    2017 pts come August 1

What do you feel is the better option? Overall price is pretty similar...one you get 20 pts more per year, the other you get 160 extra banked pts (even though they have to be used this year).

We live in Florida, so we would be using the resorts more than likely in off-mid peak season - not high peak. We also wouldnt be generally using this to pre-plan a vacation months and months in advance. It would more be like same month or next month planning.

Please let me know what you think and thank you in advance!!!

2. Maleficent

Maleficent Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV, BCV, BLT, BWV
    First Name:
    Lisa
    It takes about 3 months from offer/acceptance to receive points. Some have been quicker but plan approx. 3 months for trip planning purposes.

You're lucky you can drive, but I have to fly. For me to be able to use the banked points by 12/1, would be very tough. So if I was buying I'd go with option 2 as it's more points, less per point buy in, and more time to use banked points.

I'm sure more will pipe in with better scenarios but that's my quick take. Good luck!

3. Lori L

Lori L Staff Member Administrator

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV
    First Name:
    Lori
    Welcome to DVCinfo Samir! I agree with Maleficent and would go with option #2. More points and lower buy in would sell it for us as well. The banked points wouldn't help us because we wouldn't use them before the expiration date. However, you can rent them out.

4. DVC Mike

DVC Mike Founder

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Mike
    I would go with option 2.

5. Disney13

Disney13 Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    SSR
    First Name:
    Lori
    Option 2 is the best. More bang for the buck.

6. 3 DD love princesses

3 DD love princesses Elite Member

DVC Since:
    If they are both still available I'd go with 1 and offer a lower price per point. Then you could use the points by dec or rent them out. Good luck

7. FatalSports

FatalSports Member

First Name:
    Samir
    I asked and they will not lower the price per pt...

8. Granny

Granny Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BWV, VWL
    First Name:
    Tom
    Option 2 gets my vote.

Rather than looking at the condition of the points in the contracts the first couple of years, I would focus on 20 more points per year for decades to come. I'd take the long term benefit over any short term issues.

Disney13 likes this.
  9. Lori L

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV
    First Name:
    Lori
    Even more reason Option 2 seems to be a better option. Good luck on your decision. Keep us updated on what you decide!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2017
  10. FatalSports

FatalSports Member

First Name:
    Samir
    I've had some people tell me that trying to book Disney a few months out is probably not going to work?

We'd book 1-3 months out during the non-peak DVC times (January, May-June, Late Aug, Sept-Early Nov, and Early Dec...basically Adventure to Dream Season), we will not be able to get the resort, room, or view we want?

Most of the time we will probably want to book at Animal Kingdom Studio with a SV view, though we would also prob like to experience Polynesian, Saratoga, and Bay Lake at a few times during our membership.

Is the consensus that this is more than likely not going to be possible 1-3 months out?

11. Disney13

Disney13 Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    SSR
    First Name:
    Lori
    We live in Florida also. If you travel like we do and usually stay 2 to 3 nights at a time you have a better chance booking. Saratoga is a big resort so you have a better chance of getting in there, especially if you can book 3 months out. Last December we were able to book Christmas day for 1 night at Poly only one month in advance.

12. FatalSports

FatalSports Member

First Name:
    Samir
    I started a convo with you, if you get a chance to see it...I'd appreciate the help!!

13. Lori L

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV
    First Name:
    Lori
    The months your are referring to might be low times For Disney parks but busy times for DVC. Lower points for the rooms makes for a popular time for DVC. When you say SV view do you mean savannah or standard view for AKV? Are you good with Kidani and not just Jambo?

14. FatalSports

FatalSports Member

First Name:
    Samir
    Savannah and no, I don't think it would matter if it's Kidani or Jambo

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017
  15. Lori L

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV
    First Name:
    Lori
    Jambo will be harder to get last minute. Kidani easier, because there are more rooms. I'll give you an idea of what you're looking at. You don't mention what days you would be traveling and how many, that will help to give you an even better idea. For the last half of August, which puts you at 4 months out, only SSR has full availability for the resorts you mentioned. The other resorts (Poly and AKV) you could get three maybe four nights together at this point. One month from now, which would put you at three months out, things will look a lot different.

16. FatalSports

FatalSports Member

First Name:
    Samir
    Thanks for the help!

More than likely it would be a check in Friday and check out Sunday. During June-august we could do any days as the kids are out of school...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017
  17. Lori L

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV
    First Name:
    Lori
    I see you say you started a private conversation with Lori (Disney13). She'll be able to explain more about last minute booking since she is a local and does the same. Good Luck!

18. LauraM

LauraM Master Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Laura
    Late to the party, but I'd pick option 2 because more points, cheaper price and I'm not sure I'd make use of the 2015 points in option 1.

19. LauraM

LauraM Master Member

DVC Since:
    First Name:
    Laura
    Also, on the last minute bookings... studios are toughest as they get booked first due to taking less points. And low point times are busy DVC time. Like end of Sept through New Year's (the holiday is busy too). But generally, SSR and AKV will be last to book and may be your options. Savanna view is an easier one at AKV. Value and club level is a no go, even at 7 months most times.

20. Russ

Russ Staff Member Site Owner

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AUL, PVB, SSR
    First Name:
    Russ
    Are fees owed on #1 for 2015 and/or 2016 points - or just 2017? Same question for #2 (fees owed for 2016 and 2017 or just 2017?)

21. AnnaS

AnnaS Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    BCV, OKW
    First Name:
    Anna
    Also late in the party - I would choose 2 - Good luck

22. 3 DD love princesses

3 DD love princesses Elite Member

DVC Since:
    Since they won't go lower on 1 then go for 2.

As for last minute in dec 2015 we did 20-26 booked at late November and see had full studio. That says I just kept checking and was able to get the nights we wanted at Different resorts within that week had the choice of studios at blt, Okw, sat, poly so I think as long as you don't mind searching you will get something. Since you are looking for less days as long as you are flexible I think you will be fine.

Good luck

23. FatalSports

FatalSports Member

First Name:
    Samir
    Thank you everyone for the help...my wife and talked it over and we decided to move forward with the purchase with option 2. We signed the contract yesterday and it was sent to Disney - hopefully no issues with ROFR.

I really appreciate all the info and help from everyone here! I found someone who I work with who has a DVC membership and he showed me what was available a few months out for a few different dates and I was definitely OK with what I saw and am willing to be flexible for those availabilities on a short notice.

DVCNewbie1212 likes this.
  24. DVCNewbie1212

DVCNewbie1212 Master Member

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV
    First Name:
    Dawn
    Best of luck with ROFR!

FatalSports likes this.
  25. Lori L

DVC Since:
    Home:
    AKV
    First Name:
    Lori
    That's great. Now the agonizing wait for ROFR. Please let us know what happens.

FatalSports likes this.